Replacing the sway bar drop links on a Porsche 986 Boxster is very easy and even a novice car mechanic can perform this work. The drop links when they fail will sometimes make a clunking noise when going over bumps or in turns. The sway bar drop links are inexpensive and can be purchased from $25-45 dollars each. Buy the sway bar drop links here: https://amzn.to/2DhuDLK
Special notes on replacing the drop links:
The drop links are the same part front to back, but are different left to right.
You need to elevate both wheels on the same axle, if you only lift one side at a time, you will place tension on the sway bar and this will make it difficult to remove and install the new drop link.
Steps to replace the 986 Boxster Sway Bar Drop Links:
- Loosen but do not remove the wheel lugs.
Jack up and support the rear and/or front of the Boxster (both rear or front wheels need to be elevated)
- Remove Wheels.
Remove the upper sway bar link nut. This is located at the joint where the strut and wheel carrier are connected.
- se a 17mm wrench to hold the sway bar link stud as you loosen the 18mm nut.
- Remove the lower sway bar drop link nut. This is located where the sway bar drop link is connected to the sway bar. Use a 17mm open end wrench to hold the sway bar drop link stud as you loosen the 15mm nut.
- Remove the sway bar drop link and install the new sway bar drop link.
- Tighten the upper nut to 85 Nm / 63 ft-lb
- Tighten the lower nut to 50 Nm / 37 ft-lb
- Install the wheel and tighten lugs to 130 Nm / 86 ft-lb
- Lower the Boxster and enjoy your new sway bar drop links!
Tools Needed to Replace the Sway Bar Links:
- 2 Jack Stands
- Lug Wrench
- 1/2 Torque Wrench
- 3/8 Torque Wrench https://amzn.to/2ImEnIG
- 17mm Open End Wrench
- 18mm Sockets and Wrenches
- 15mm Sockets and Wrenches
- 19mm Socket (for wheels)
Torque Specs for Sway Bar Drop Links on Porsche Boxster 986
- Strut assembly to wheel bearing carrier (at upper sway bar link mount)(M12) 85 Nm / 63 ft-lb
- Sway bar link to sway bar (M10 x 1.5) 50 Nm / 37 ft-lb