The fluid change is very easy, the only complication is that it can get messy!
The LR3 Electronic Diff oil on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2utONgD
The Tools Needed to Change the Rear Differential Fluid in a Land Rover LR3:
14MM Hex Socket for drain plug: https://amzn.to/2L4N9fo
8MM Hex Socket for filler plug: https://amzn.to/2ukZe60
- 3/8″ Ratchet
- 1/2″ Ratchet
- 3/8″ Torque Wrench
- 1/2″ Torque Wrench
- Drain Pan
- Oil Suction Gun: https://amzn.to/2u7qohi
The steps to change the rear differential fluid.
1. You may not need to raise the LR3 to gain access to the differential drain plug. I set the suspension to off-road and that gives me plenty of room underneath. If you do this, it is advisable to open a door or place a jack stand under the LR3 just in case the suspension resets to normal while you are underneath.
2. Locate the rear diff drain plug, clean the area around it and place your drain pan underneath it. The drain plug is located directly on the bottom of the differential. (see picture below)
3. Remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain completely. (14mm Hex Socket)
4. Clean the shavings and debris off of the drain plug.
5. Install the drain plug and tighten to 40 foot-pounds / 54 newton-meters (You can use teflon tape on the threads if you would like some extra leak protection)
6. Locate the filler plug on the right side of the differential (see picture below)
7. Clean the area around the filler plug and remove the filler plug. (8mm Hex Socket)
8. Use a suction gun to draw in new fluid from the bottle and then place the nozzle of the suction gun into the filler hole and squirt the oil into the differential. Continue this process until you have filled the differential with 1.58 quarts of new differential fluid.
9. Install the filler plug and tighten to 25 foot-pounds / 34 newton-meters.
10. Clean up the mess!
Rear Differential Fluid Change Specs:
- Drain Plug Torque 54 Nm / 40 ft-lb
- Filler Plug Torque 34 Nm / 25 ft-lb
- The filler plug thread size and pitch is M16-1.5
- Electronic Diff Fluid Land Rover Part #: LR019727
- Change the Diff Oil Every 5 Years or 75,000 Miles