The Land Rover LR3, LR4 & Range Rover Sport glove box uses a special hinge pin that requires a special tool to remove it. This Land Rover tool is called the Glove compartment hinge pin remover 501-113. You can make your own special tool out of a small piece of 1/4″ or 6mm inside diameter tubing and a machine screw. I used a small piece of PEX 1/4″ inside diameter tubing: http://amzn.to/2tpzvLs You can buy a short piece of PEX tubing in the plumbing section at home depot and it should cost under $2.
The tubing must be exactly 1/4″ or 6mm, it needs to fit snugly over the hinge pin to compress the barbs on the pin so the pin can be pushed back though its hole.
Tools needed to remove the glove box:
- Philips Head Screw Driver
- Trim Panel, Upholstery Panel Clip Tool: http://amzn.to/2tljVQO
- 3/4″ long piece of 1/4″ or 6mm inside diameter tubing
- A screw that fits inside the tubing and is around 1/2″ longer than the tubing
The steps to remove the glove compartment:
- Remove the cowl side trim panels
- Remove the panel underneath the glove box
- Remove the hinge pins with the tubing special tool
- Unlatch the glove box and release the glove compartment latch stops.
- Remove the glove box.
If you happen to break the hinge pin or cut them to remove them, they are easily replaced for around $6-8. FFY500020 INSTRUMENT PANEL GLOVE BOX HINGE HINGE
This Glove Box Removal Procedure should be very similar on the Range Rover Sport, LR3 and LR4